Wednesday, November 23, 2016

         So it is officially the day before Thanksgiving and two weeks after what will probably be one of the most controversial presidential elections in the country's history. I will not talk about my political views (yet?...I rarely even comment within my own circle of friends but who knows? I might make a sudden outburst any day!) nor do I want to do any sentimental "what I'm thankful for" speeches....yet. I foresee that somewhere in this blog's future. Sorry, sometimes I get a little mushy. In fact I am feeling a little bit this way right now.
          Here I sit watching holiday movies and wonder why I enjoy watching them so much. Frankly it is an addiction. I've been doing this for several years now and not only do I constantly watch them during November and December, but also July as well thanks to the Christmas in July events from the Hallmark Channels. Certainly I am not the only one that enjoys them and like pulp romance novels ( I call them "fluffy"), many of us devote holiday movie lovers don't pronounce our love for them out loud. If there is a convention for this, I would sign up right away! Hey, wait a minute, maybe there is. I'll research that later!
          I've been a sucker for romance movies and books since I was in high school. It staretd with Jane Eyre. I read it for an English class and it snowballed from there. I prefer historical romance. I think I feel more justified learning about about history and the changes in social climates. I slowly got hooked other stories and when I started discovering Jane Austen, that was it. For years and years my favorite obsession was Pride and Prejudice. Anything remotely related or based on this story I was totally sucked into. Now after many years later, it is probably 2nd or 3rd on my list, fluctuating with Persuasion and North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell ( a late addition I discover only five years ago). That discovery alone gives me hope that I've missed another great story and keeps my everseeking obsession alive.
          It is escapism at its best. Feel good movies make me forget about all the bad in the world and makes me more optimistic that there is more good than bad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment